This Finest Rare Antique Mohtasham Rug is a Rare Oversized floor piece with the garden of paradise and medallion motif. Beautiful birds in the fields of floral sprays. Rare and highly decorative ivory back ground and ivory border adds to the elegance and restfulness of this majestic woven art.
4’5 x 7
Finest Rare Antique Mohtasham Rug
Mohtasham is one of the most revered weavers of Kashan. His rugs are some of the highest quality Persian weavings. The town of Kashan located in central Iran between Isfahan and Tehran is often referred to as the greatest weaving center in western Persia. Mohtasham Kashans ranges from 200 to 300 knots per square inch, with the older ones tending towards the upper end of the scale. An interesting thing about Mohtasham Kashans is that the oldest examples tend to have the highest knot counts but a certain crudeness of design.
Since the 3rd quarter of the 19th century and for about 30 years, the finest and most delicate rugs of wool and silk were woven by arguably the most respected ustadan (master weaver), Ed Din Mohtasham. These rugs are noted for their use of purple and ruby red silk bindings for the selvedges. They are characterized by a particular style, color and use of imported merino wool. Whether signed or unsigned, antique Mohtasham Kashan rugs are considered the crème de la crème of all antique Kashan rugs.
One of the sign of original Mohtasham rug which named “Mohtasham Father” and also showing in this particular rug is the silk edge rapping. Other indications are the fine weave and fine short cut pile, also the special magnificent colors. . “Mohtasham Father “ refers to Kashan rugs made from c.1882 until 1914 woven in a particular atelier with a specific quality wool like English and Australian Merino wool, made by Hajji Mollah Hassan Mohtasham and his skilled weaver. These rugs had a velvety short pile and tight knotting. Around 1900, his son, Mohtasham the Younger took over the work shop and continued the practice of fine knotting. The design and colors radically changed, although the wool remained the same until 1930 when Persian sourced yarn was used.
410 Olive st Santa Barbara Design Center